Sunday, September 7, 2014

Relief Sculpture

Modern Architecture





Rococo Architecture

http://blog.yam.com/jojochantravel/article/59672794





The architectural periods I chose for the assignment are Rococo and Modern art because they contrast one another. Rococo architecture is quite ornate with intricate detail and plenty of it. The Modern architecture that inspired me focuses on large, simple movements and shapes. I though that combining the two styles would be a compelling challenge because that are so different from each other. My first thoughts on the design of the sculpture were to use the organic Rococo shapes and simplify them into just a few large flowing forms. Though I though this was an accurate representation of the two styles, the piece itself as a design was boring to me. Next I thought of using Modern art inspiration for the core structure of the piece, and then decorating it in the style of Rococo. This is how I arrived at the ideas of carving into the foam board. I figured using the intricate shapes from Rococo in the form of the subtle imprints of the carving would give the piece a balanced representation of the styles. Though I am pleased with my design, I wish the executed was better. I would have liked to do more carvings and use different materials. The foam board became an obsticle because it came off in small crumbly pieces rather than clean pieces. This created some rough edges that were difficult to smooth out.

No comments:

Post a Comment